We have a number of volunteer opportunities available. If you would like to join the Maker Faire Production Crew and be a part of this year’s event then consider the available roles presented here.
Most roles are only for the two days of Calgary Mini Maker Faire, September 12 & 13, however we may also have some room on our organizing team if you want to also be involved in the pre-event activities (September 10th). Please specify your interests and availability in your volunteer application.
Maker Volunteer Perks
- Free Maker T-shirt
- Free Access to TELUS Spark during Maker Faire Event
- Maker Happy Hour Event Passes – this is an exclusive event on Thursday September 10th for Makers, Volunteers and 1 guest (6pm – 10pm at TELUS Spark)
- Buddy Pass – if you work more than 4 hours you will also receive a free day pass that can be given to a friend
- Volunteers that work 8 hour shifts get Complimentary Lunches
- All Volunteers have access to Complimentary Snacks throughout the day
- TELUS Spark Cafeteria Discount (when you show your badge throughout event)
- Free issue of Make Magazine (if and while supplies are available)
- Participate and connect with amazing Makers , experience and perpetuate unforgettable Maker Culture
Volunteer Requirements & Responsibilities
- Minimum of 4 hours committed on either day of the event up to 16 hours over both days of the events
- Submit an application detailing availability and level of skill abilities
- Prepare for and preform your duties as a volunteer by attending or responding to communications regarding screening, orientation and training
- Consent and abide by the Maker Faire policies and procedures
- Be a positive ambassador for Calgary Mini Maker Faire, Maker Culture, and the greater Maker Community
- Treat other volunteers, Makers, speakers, presenters, staff and the general public with integrity and respect
- Acknowledge your position of trust and refrain from taking advantage of any money or proprieties belonging to TELUS Spark, the Calgary Mini Maker Faire, staff, sponsors, makers, vendors or any other attendees
- Fulfill all tasks, duties and time commitments as agreed, to the best of your ability
- Refrain from use or possession of illegal substances on-site as well as the consumption of alcohol while on duty
- To create and foster an atmosphere of mutual fun, inclusiveness, innovation, creativity, respect and support.
Volunteer Roles Available
Greeter – This role involves greeting visitors as they arrive, offering program guides, and providing suggestions of cool things to see.
Maker Check-in Attendant – This role involves greeting Makers as they arrive to setup and providing each their passes and information package.
Maker Care Team – This is perhaps one of the most fun volunteer roles as it involves visiting each booth to ensure that our exhibitors are taken care of. It’s easy, but does require being on your feet for most of the day. Convince a friend to volunteer with you to make the day go twice as fast.
Social Media Assistants – If you are social media savvy let us know which platforms (twitter, facebook, instagram etc.) you’re proficient and familiar with using and after screening you may be asked to be a Social Media Assistant to post on behalf of Calgary Mini Maker Faire and/or on your own personal account throughout the event ( you may be assigned specific presentations or makers to cover).